When you walk into our school, you’ll see a sign, “Welcome, Montessori is about celebrating children and supporting a child’s independence—and we are a body-safe school. We added the last part because we want parents to know right away that we take child sexual abuse prevention very seriously. But I still want every prospective parent who walks into my office to ask me these five questions:
|Montessori Academy of Colorado|
- What policies do you have in place to reduce the likelihood of child sexual abuse?
- What are your specific policies for adults spending alone time with children; for the appropriate and inappropriate touch of children; and for diapering, toileting, and changing clothes?
- How do you monitor your child sexual abuse prevention practices?
- What questions do you ask prospective hires to screen for sexual offenders?
- What kind of training do staff, volunteers, parents, and children receive on preventing child sexual abuse?
If you haven’t already seen it, check out this Parenting Safe Children Screening Video which features a parent asking me questions about our policies.